The Glorantha Digest V6 #543

From: DUNCAN ROWLANDS <DUNCANROWLANDS_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:37:51 -0400

Sorry this is many digests behind but I went away for the weekend.

A simulating Alex says
"There's worse, IMO. Suppose you actually are a master fencer and your GM=

is
not. How would he react when you do something the *RW's* right way amd th= at
just happens to skrew his plot? Would he answer "No, this isn't the RW, it's
Glorantha and fencing is different." (BTW, I had this problem also in RQ when I tried to simulate a mountain climb and one of the players was a climber). How would you feel if the other players do something which you know to be absurd and the GM praises them, while you didn't do it because=

you were hindered by your own knowledge?"

Then you would probably hate refereeing me as (fanfare sounds) I am

a) an international level fencer (sabre)
b) training for my black belt at jujitsu
c) a PADI advanced open water diver (limited use in RQ games but good for=

CoC)
d) a rock climber (hobby level only)

As for a description of a combat action how about

I step forward quickly bringing my sword into a garde of sixte. If my opponant
a) steps back I'll attack compound head / chest to deceive his parry b) attacks with blade held low I'll step back, allow him to fall short (o= r
at least I'll have enough time to take a parry) and counter attack with a=

step to head or reposte to cheek.
c) attacks with blade held high I'll stop cut to the inside of his wrist = as
the attacks starts, step back and wait for the blood loss from the severe= d
artery to weaken him before I step into range. d) sticks his blade out to keep me away I'll engage the blade in carte an= d
attack with a coule or by bind.
e) steps back and takes a defensive garde I'll get ready for a difficult fight (cast a spell?)

How long do you think most gamers could keep this up?

Unarmed combat descriptions are even worse. No game can ever hope to portray the complexities of real life combat so I suggest find a system y= ou
and your group can live with (RQ works for me) and talk over the dice in = as
real terms as possible, inserting the mechanics as minor details. The roleplay is in the gamers, not the system.

Duncan 'milk tray man' Rowlands