Re: Would sir care to be eaten by chaos, now?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:09:46 +0100 (BST)

Me and Simon, many a fathom deep:

> >> IMHO basicaly annihilation by chaos. One of the risks of mysticism.
> >
> >That's what an Orlanthi (say) might say happened, but it's not
> >a More Correct explantion than the indigenous one.
>
> That's true, but it's not necesserily false either.

I don't claim that it's false.

> >Not in Brithini or Mostali belief, for example. For them, the Self
> >is completely destroyed at death, and anything left is just some
> >untidy psychic residue, or whatever.

> Residue - precisely. Chaos leaves nothing, annihilating part of the world
> and weakiening the universe as a result. The Brithini do not as far as I
> know believe that when they die the universe is depleted.

I don't think the Brithini (or Mostali) really make this distinction. Or certainly, they dopn't see it as in any way as crucially important. This residue simply disperses, after all, so what difference does it make, from an individual point of view? Case one: residue is absorbed by chaos; case two: residue floats around the world as some sort of magical energy. To say that one is 'utterly destroyed' in one case, but not the other, is a distinction that makes sense with the Orlanthi reference point about Chaos.

> Re Solace :
>
> >Which is _also_ beyond the material or divine worlds. Thus the Brithini
> >can poo-poo it freely, and as far as I know it's not possible to
> >'prove' that someone went to Solace, even by "conventional" HQ.
>
> We've been through this debate before. If Solace is beyond the material and
> divine worlds then how come Saints can grant blessings? Solace may be beyond
> contact by pagans, but it obviously isn't beyond contact by True Believers.

It's beyond direct contact by True Believers in their lifetimes. I don't want to restart the Saints-in-Solace bunfight, but I think it's fair to say there's no way of determining _what_ has happened to individual worshippers after they've (allegedly) gone to Solace, Saints aside. (And leaving aside also how doable this is even in the case of Saints, or of pagan afterlives.)

Try convincing an Orlanthi of the existence of Solace in a direct way, for example.

Cheers,
Alex.