Star Bear

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:14:41 +0100

Andrew asks:
>> Acknowledging a tamed or subdued Orlanth, one subservient to the Red
>> Goddess (as the Sylilans do with their myths of the taming of the Star
>> Bear by Orogeria), might well be compatible with the Lunar Way.

> Has this been written up officially?

Our Rough Guide to Glamour includes Greg's "Story of the Moon Goddess", in which (as Orogeria), "Rufelza tamed the wild sky creatures, especially their leader, Orlanth the Star Bear." Related material may appear in the Entekosiad, or in a Con transcript somewhere: I don't recall. (The Rough Guide should be available from your local Megacorp rep, and is on the shelves of good games shops everywhere -- by definition!).

> I thought the Star Bear story related to Arakang and Orogeria and came
> from Arir. Please, please explain.

I can't remember who "Arakang" might be -- is it a recent made-up name for King Bear, or something? What I *do* recall is that one of the Seven Dishes of the Lunar Credo ("The Goddess Riding the Sky Bear") illustrates what happened when "She conquered the bear to rekindle the sky".

IIRC, Lunars hold that this Bear God is (or might as well be) Orlanth, that it's the beast who trundles the Sky Dome around, and that it was Orogeria (one of the Goddess's "earlier incarnations" from Arir) who tamed him to do this. This myth has been expounded to impressionable Sylilans, to show them that Orlanth working for the Goddess is a Good Thing. (Which is true).

Other Gloranthan associations between Bears and Storm Gods include the Rathori (inc. Harrek), and the Star Bears linked to Gagarth the Wild Hunter in some early Nomad Gods articles. An association between Storm and Bears seems fair enuf to me.

Maybe I should call my projected sourcebook on Lunar provincial heresies "Red Bear and White Moon"?

Cheers, Nick

PS: I didn't even mention Rule #1!