More Lunarized Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:33:34 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Luckily most fresh Heartland officers get some experienced aides from
>the Provincial government as advisors.

Whether they actually take their advice is another matter entirely. IMO most Heartlanders will ignore them.

>Compare the policies of Euglyptus the Fat and Fazzur. Euglyptus taxed
>all Sartarite tribes heavily.

"[Euglyptus] spared the friendly tribes." (KoS p145). But I do believe that how he put those policies into practice was a great cause of the revolt as the policies themselves. A blanket tax increase with the exceptions in the fine print causes a lot more discontent than punitive tax increases on a few tribes. Guess which one the Heartlanders will adopt?

>This has made me assume that - not unlike Heortland - in Tarsh there are
>both smaller, Alakoring-type tribes (no city confederations in Sartar
>style, I think these are a specific Sartarite phenomenon neither found
>in Heortland) and one "national" tribe, including the Orindori and
>Hendarli clans which may be quite oversized, too.

I think Tarshite tribes have been disbanded as a result of Phargentes' policies in favour of appointed Nobles (from favored clans) who hold their lands directly from the King.