Saints and Solace

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:14:41 +0800

>>If Solace is beyond the material and
>> divine worlds then how come Saints can grant blessings?

Keith
>IMHO it was a mistake to have Saints granting blessings for exactly this
>reason.

        My impression of Saints blessings is that they don't necessarily involve the saint manifesting, or interacting with them directly. Call it a minor heroquest power - you aren't necessarily repeating the saints quest directly, but you are gain the power by symbolically repeating it in some way. In a way its a bit like being a follower of the saint, retrospectively.

>I would (if
>I ever ran a campaign in the West) have Saints blessing as sorcerous spells
>manipulated by the wizards.

        I don't think Saints blessings are sorcery spells in either RQ or HW - they are a foreign power adapted to Malkioni use after the dawn, generally a variant of divine magic/feats. Malkionism did not have Saints at the dawn, its an imitation of theist hero magic - not that you would ever get them to admit it of course (and of course its modified in such a way as to be specially non-blasphemous). But note that the Brithini and Vadeli do not have Saints.

	Cheers
		David