Re: Lunar Orlanthi

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:50:10 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham reckons the Orlanthi have no 'core mythic' reason to oopose the RG:
> I concede she is known to have consorted with Chaos on occasion, but then
> Orlanth granted boons to Mallia

> and is known to have Chaos among his own close kin.

That'd be 'former kin', stranger.

> I concede there are storm deities besides Orlanth in the Empire (not even
> counting Invisible Orlanth), but Orlanth is the god of Aggar, which is part
> of the Empire last I checked. And of Tarsh. I'm sorry, but I can't envision
> Rascius being crowned with the rites of Entekos. A Sylilan king, sure. Oh,
> and Talastar and Brolia are part of the Empire too. Surely all Talastari
> didn't convert overnight (that's not what White Shirt Day was, despite the
> Lunar propaganda). Thus, Orlanth is a deity in the Empire.

Quod non erat demonstrandum. The question, at least as I understood it, is it possible to simultaneously be an initiate of Orlanth, and 'the Lunar religion'. I'll assume the latter means either the Provincial Church, or, rarely, the Goddess's own cult. And to that question, I think the answer is basically 'no'. (See my earlier message for more on some of the permutations I think _are_ possible, which I think is also pretty much in line with Peter's last response.)

In Talastar, Aggar, and Brolia the Provincial Church per se doesn't exist, I understand, at least in the form we're familiar with from Sylila and Tarsh. Doubtless some different flavour of accomodation exists there, but that's Beyond The Scope of This Message. (The thread, there's little legislating for.)

> The Lunar-Orlanth antagonism is a relatively recent thing. It seems a
> reasonable guess that it furthers Tarshite (or perhaps Lunar) political
> ambition.

Greg has stated fairly clearly that Orlanth is the 'chosen enemy' of the Red Goddess, for a whole raft of mythic reasons. That Tarshite land-grabbers are greatly worsening the _poltical_ situation, and thereby being the proximate cause of all the actual stramashes, I can also happily sign up to.

Cheers,
Alex.