Re: Nukemdukem

From: Philip R. Hammar <jackal_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:24:25 -0400

Unattributed
Unattributed
>>>Maybe atomic weapons *are* just another kind of
>>>bomb, albeit a very powerful and destructive one?
Unattributed

>>Marvelous! That's a very good analogy - many people are shocked at the
>>unnatural, destructive powers and consequences of nuclear power, but there
>>is in fact nothing unnatural about it.
In Digest 568, V6, d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com (danny bourne) replied

> Unfortunately you've not equated the analogy. Nuclear weapons are not
> natural, they're constructs.

Leading me to say:

    But so are the "conventional" bombs against which the nuclear ones were implicitly compared. The analogy does play right into the point that the first and third posters were trying to make (one, with which, I do not agree). Unless, of course, you think the action in Yugoslavia is really NATO trying to find more fields to grow 500 lb. and 2000 lb. munitions trees that can be harvested later.

    Which actually leads to some Gloranthan input. Aldryami just aren't natural, at least to a Mostali. The world is a construct, not some bleeding biological infection that just serves to gum up the gears. The Aldryami, I'm sure, don't think of the Mostali construction as anything like natural, spewing forth filth and pollution that destroys the ecosystem. While, to the Uz, they are both just a natural part of the diet.

            Later,
            Phil