Re: Entropy

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:01:44 +0200

Simon Hibbs:

Errmm ... remember : this is a *theory* about what *might* have happened. That is, I am aware of the source material, and I believe that the theory doesn't contradict it; whether you accept it or not doesn't really concern me.

But :

In the tradition of good old medieval cosmography, I quite enjoy the erection of extra, superfluous, structures in Glorantha's wide and gothic expanses ...
the One True Way be damned !!

> >> Dunno about that.
> >
> >hmmm. Death resulted in permanent loss of the individual, until this
> >was changed by the LBQ? ...
>
> Hardly permanent then.

Creative heroquesting can change the nature of reality. Therefore, in Glorantha, anything permanent is mutable.

> > ....From the POV of a mundane inhabitant of Chaos
> >Age Glorantha, I see little difference in perception.
>
> The cosmology on www.glorantha.com has this to say of the chaos age :

Yes, but the CoT cosmology is written from a God Learner monomythic POV, not from a pre-Dawn perspective, and gives us few conclusive facts (but many useful factoids!!) about actual pre-Dawn philosophies of death.

> "Though inured to death, the Storm Age was shocked the way the Golden
> Age had been shocked. True Death, divine entropy, sent some gods into
> flight, some into inertia, some into more rabid defense."
>
> So death was one thing, but the True Death that consumed Genert and
> Yamsur was something different, something new.

Well, why were they shocked "the same way" then?

Quoting scripture is, in this case, a fairly pointless exercise, as it lends itself to various exegetic methods ...

> "Gods of terror in this age included Kajabor and Wakboth as leaders.
> The Unholy Trio continued their rampage, so that the names of
> Ragnaglar, Thed, and Malia became synonymous with fear. There were
> other invaders, too, such as Tien the Headhunter and Krarsht the
> Hungry One. Beings who had once been Gloranthan in nature, but had
> turned to Wakboth's ways for their selfish
> ends (such as Vivamort) prowled the lands."
>
> A clear distinction is made between gods who are Gloranthan in nature
> and Wakboth, who by implication is not Gloranthan in nature.

The extra-cosmic origin of Wakboth isn't debated.

I believe that Wakboth had a divine essence. That other Gloranthan entities resemble Wakboth, and are divine in nature, supports rather than infirms this belief.

> So Wakboth lived and was struck down by Storm Bull, but Kajabor died
> and faced the forces of the dead. Here we have death working during
> the chaos age just as it did before and after.

But the LBQ *changed* the nature of death.

All this rather depends on the perceived difference between death and "True Death". The fact that the D-word is used at all ought to convince us that Entropy is a purer form of ordinary Death. In any case, it does appear that True Death >< Golden Age death >< post-LBQ death. Post-LBQ death being death with an After Life; Golden Age death being death which leads to some sort of existence in Hell; True Death (aka Entropy) being Annihilation of the essence.

I was trying to equate these various forms of Death with various Ages in Gloranthan History and Prehistory.

Anything wrong with that?

> We know of a number of gods utterly destroyed during the Chaos Age.
> I don't see what the Compromise has to do with that. It saved what
> was left.

If there had been no Compromise, *everything* would have been Annihilated.

>From the Cosmology :
> Time permanently separates the gods and their world
> from the destruction to which they had submitted in
> the Gods Age. They formed the pact to ensure their
> survival, and the world opted to become stagnant
> rather than nonexistent.

Any god not agreeing to the Compromise would, if we are logical, have been Annihilated. (good old Free Will ... )

The question is ; were there any?

I say yes, because they are theoretically plausible; in Glorantha, that means that they probably existed.