Re: Magic Reality

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:33:29 +0100 (BST)

Trotsky:
> I don't deny any of this, but fail to see what is has to do with my
> claim that mystics don't beleive magic exists at all, and is all just fakery,
> or at least that its less 'real' (as opposed to more tempting/dangerous,
> whatever) than the physical world is.

Because your _original_ contention, if i recall the drift, was that no one would deny the 'reality' of magic (or gods, or whatever), rather than just the morality, exact cosmological nature, etc. A Gloranthan mystic of certain flavours would probably tell you that Gods and Magic are the most Illusionary part of an Illusionary world (the manifest), and have nothing to do with Reality.

I think what we have at present is a digression semming from a 'ah yes, but they say about everything, so no change there' style of counter-argument.

Slainte,
Alex.