Saints

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 11:46:19 +1200

David Cake:

> I don't think Saints blessings are sorcery spells in either RQ or
>HW - they are a foreign power adapted to Malkioni use after the dawn,
>generally a variant of divine magic/feats. Malkionism did not have Saints
>at the dawn, its an imitation of theist hero magic - not that you would
>ever get them to admit it of course (and of course its modified in such a
>way as to be specially non-blasphemous).

The Veneration of Saints is based upon the worship of Ancestors, _not_ Gods (Animism, not Theism). Greg has indicated that to venerate a God directly yields nothing. Henotheists are forced to anthromorphise their gods somewhat which screws up both their divine and malkioni magic somewhat (which is why Safelster is a backwater).

And I think the origins of Saints worship would have started in the Storm Age with the veneration of Malkion himself. Malkioni did not have Saints at the Dawn because they had sunk to worshipping False Gods in a desperate attempt to survive.