Game mechanics and reality

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alex.lanciani_at_flashnet.it>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 13:40:54 +0200

Warning: long and boring, possibly off topic. But I *need* to do it! Please forgive me... :)

Danny Bourne:

<<I would say that *game mechanics* distort a proper understanding. Any representational 'rules' system has to.>>

        I don't think this is the right way to put it. Game rules are like mathematical expression of natural laws: they do not represent reality, they just translate it into an abstract language we can nonetheless understand. This way we can build models which *simulate* reality, to achieve a greater understanding of how reality works (but still in term of conventional i.e. mathematical or game-mechanical language) and to forsee the outcome of an experiment if we are physicits, of character's actions if we are roleplayers, in a way which is consistent with the world's reality.

        A simpler model has the advantage of being trasparent, closer to "real" reality. Often it can be applied to different situations with minimum adaptation. A more complex model usually has the advantage of being more accurate and of integrating more aspects of the phenomenon. Of course it's also more specific, and so is less flexible.

        The best would be to have simple "metarules" which can be applied in every situation and enough examples to teach us how to apply them consistently and up to the level of detailed required by player's and GM's tastes. I think RQ had them. If HW will, none will be happier than me.

        I think it's impossible to have non simulationists game mechanics (by deifinition). I think that game mechanics do not distort a *proper* understanding. Maybe an intuitive understanding yes, but Glorantha is even less intuitive and open to experiment than the RW, since it does not exist on its own but only as our minds' construct (even more off-topic than the rest: if enough people believe in something, does that thing become real?). So game mechanics are the *only* way to have an objective understanding of Glorantha.

        Of course, if you think that objective understanding is out of place in Glorantha, where myth and magic rule supreme, well... POVs!

	Bye
	An objective Alex