R: Hsunchen and the WWF

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alex.lanciani_at_flashnet.it>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 15:01:29 +0200

Abstracted from:

> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:16:35 EDT
> From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
> Subject: Hsunchen and the WWF
>
> Alexandre:
>
> << IMO this would not be enslaving the wolf.>>
>
> Well, its certainly binding them to do work, although I suppose one
> could argue as to whether or not its working 'like a slave'.
>
> <<The point would be: is this a good tactic? I think this is the only
> question that matters from an hsunchen POV.>>
>
> I disagree. It makes a lot of sense to take up agriculture,
> for example,
> but hsunchen don't do that. The hsunchen, like other Gloranthan cultures,
> have a religion which defines how they are supposed to act, and one can't
> simply ignore that and say that only questions of expedience are
> important to
> them.

        We agree on: Culture in Glorantha is defined by religion (although somebody may say that it's the other way around).

        We disagree on: A Telmori who rides a chariot pulled by wolves is breaking his taboos. The reasons are still the same, I think.

        Just one thing more: it's not a question of expedience! I've never said (or at least meant) that! Let me expand: an hsunchen has the same thoughts pattern of a wolf. I don't know what these could be, but I think they approach more instinct than reasoning. But they can learn from experience. If they are showed that there are means to accomplish their goals which are better than the one they now use, and these are not against their taboos, what prevents them from using these tools? In this sense I said that the only thing that matters from an hsunchen POV is result. They instinctively know if something is good or bad (agriculture is bad for it does not help us while we hunt or make war), and they can learn if something is useful or not (chariots are useful).

        Hope to have clarified my position. I can understand why you feel unconfortable with Telmori Chariots Cavalry, but I think it plausible, at least in the KoW.

	Bye
	A clarifying Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #573