Lunarized Orlanthi.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 12:02:42 +1200

David Dunham:

>I still see no reason why you can't walk out of a temple to Orlanth, where
>you've just made a sacrifice to the Storm God, and walk into a temple to
>the Seven Mothers and make a sacrifice to the Red Moon.

Both Lunar and Orlanthi deities are not sacrificial. Orlanthi religion is devotional while Lunar Gods are adorational (cf the sidebar in enclosure #1).

Secondly you are blurring the distinction between Orlanth & Red Goddess and Orlanthi Gods & Lunar Deities. The Lunars, wearing their religious hat, find the worship of Orlanth unacceptable. If they wear their imperial hat, worshippers of Orlanth are just more taxpayers.

>Yes, in the 1600s, the Red Goddess and Orlanth have set each other in
>opposition. This is recent in the history of the Orlanth religion (even if
>it's certainly long enough to make a difference). The Castle Blue story in
>King of Sartar is pretty clearly not contemporary with Castle Blue.

Then kindly explain:

	"...they were all of the Hendrieki tribe and good Orlanthi.
	One day their chiefs and godi all woke with headaches.  They
	looked to the north, and there for the first time they saw
	the great orb of the Red Moon. [...] This was 1247."
						KoS p200

And Karsten Fardrossen attempted the Lightbringer's Quest during Castle Blue and failed (KoS p164).

Turning to the Dara Happan/Lunar PoV we find that about Castle Blue:

	"Even foreigners found excuses to become engaged.  The
	barbarian Orlanthi said the Goddess was evil, ..."
						GRoY p52

This was composed as part of the fortunate succession in 1/7.

Hence the opposition between the Goddess and Orlanth is integral from Castle Blue at least and not a 1600s-myth as you aver.