Garundyer and Owain

From: Al Harrison <aharriso_at_coe.neu.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 13:29:46 -0400 (EDT)

Continuing the thread of discussion ...

It does seem that by simply "forgiving" each other, Owain and Garundyer are acting in a sort of Christian Arthur fashion. Orlanthi culture seems [from the current accumulation of material] to be much more pagan Celtic than Christian Celtosaxon.

However, even the blood-mad Scots Irish and Welsh could sometimes bring themselves to make an accomodation when continued feuding was clearly undesirable.

I would suggest that Garundyer (the stronger party) might decide to seek forgiveness from Owain (the weaker party) after the spreading vendetta either a) lead to the death of someone very important to both parties; b) threatened kinstrife. I personally can't see Owain seeking forgiveness, as he is definitely the weaker party in the conflict and thus by most systems of violent social dynamics he cannot "afford" the loss of face involved in admitting he's wrong. On the other hand, Garundyer being perceived as the stronger party by all his friends and neighbors can only gain from a show of generosity masking (eventually overcoming?) his truly deadly antagonism toward Owain. Generosity is after all among the triad of pagan/Orlanthi virtues:

        Bravery / Integrity / Generosity

I realize that "my opinions are mine and not yours."

Al Harrison
geocities.com/Paris/Tower/9143
harrisona_at_asme.org

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #576