saints

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 17:01:37 +0800

>As Dave C. says, 'standard' Saint worship smacks someone of Adoptionism
>of the theist mode. Some documentedly push this even further.

        Yes, I think standard Saint worship is usually adopted theist magic - - which doesn't mean its the same as theist magic, in most cases its merely similar, and similar to hero worship rather than worship of deities generally. Some sects do just use saint worship as a way of justifying and 'Malkionising' existing theist practice, though.

>Contrariwise, I think that other sects use Saint worship to obtain only
>'wizardly' type benefits, whereas others abstain from even that.

        I think that the only meaningful way to speak of gaining wizardly benefits from saint worship is if a saint is the original creator of a particular spell - and even in that case, the Saint does not necessarily make it any easier for those who venerate them. Wizardly powers have to learned, and its difficult whatever you call them.

	Cheers
		David