Sir Kay

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 20:24:15 -0400

> Sir Cai? Certainly not the brightest nor the most powerful of his
knights, becoming his steward (if too much retro-fitting by numerous authors hasn't confused me too much).

Right at the beginning of Morte D'Arthur, in the battle that first established his authority, Arthur and three of his knights faced five enemy kings, both
sides being separated from their armies.

Kay volunteers to take on two of the enemy, leaving the others one each, and he beats them both. Arthur tells him that if he never does another deed of note, Kay has proven himself as one of his greatest knights.

In Malory, Kay never does do another deed of note ...

I've read that in the earlier Celtic myths, Kay is the greatest warrior of Arthur's court. This story in Malory is perhaps the last refelection of that.

Andrew