Re: HW and Rune Level

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:06:42 +0100

Eric writes:

> 4/16 (actually just 16) is a good guess at what the highest starting
> ability will be. It is nowhere near Rune Level. Not even close.

Speaking *without* benefit of Inside Knowledge, and purely given that in RuneQuest a Rune Lord usually had to be a master of five cult skills, perhaps Mastering five HW abilities from your cult template would be indicative of Rune-Level-equivalent status?

HW Mastery *is* far more than a starting character possesses in any ability. But it is not unattainably far from a new character's sights. Rather like 90% skill in RuneQuest.

I kinda like the knock-on effects of this -- Rune Lords (by definition) don't fumble their abilities when contesting with mundane opposition, etc. I know that YGMV, and some people *still* get their kicks waiting for Harrek to slice off his own head in the thick of combat...

Again, I'll stress that I have no idea how (or indeed whether) HW defines a "Rune Level" -- this is just my $0.02 (put it into my GTA account, Eric!).

Cheers, Nick