re: Perception skills

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 23:15:32 -0700

Keith Nellist

> me entirely wrong on perception skills with his numerous examples. I
> am still uncomfortable with the idea and I think it is because the character
> should be unaware of their own level of skill. Most people do not think they
> are oblivious to their surroundings even if they actually are.

Whether you rate it as a skill or talent, it's clear to both my wife and I that I'm much better than she is at spotting or finding things. (I've never been trained as an observer, and I suspect I'm not much better at it than most people, at least in terms of being an eyewitness.) So we may not be aware of our levels, but we can at least rank each other.