Garundyer

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:49:04 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Because the Icelandic sagas are built around the few cases where
>peaceful solving of cases failed.

Orlanthi are not Icelanders. Iceland is a desolate little island in the North Atlantic where feuding clans are forced to live with one another. Most Orlanthi live in lands where the stronger can persuade the weaker to flee for their lives at short notice to some distant land.

>Feuds can be solved, or at least laid aside. Quite a few Orlanthi
>people are _renowned_ for laying aside a feud for the greater good.

And these people are?

>> But Orlanthi do not settle their internal problems by forgiveness.

>They do, if they emulate their deity. "The Great Compromise",

Where Orlanth welshes on Yelm's demand for Atonement... Secondly this is a deed that reflects on Orlanth for he is the active party in this quest. Contrast this to Owain who forgives Garundyer for some reason we can only guess at.

>generosity, shrewdness...

Neither of which have anything to do with forgiveness.

>There are enough precedents for either way of Orlanthi behaviour.

Then name a Orlanthi feud settled in the manner of Owain versus Garundyer.

>> A father's authority does not have the same force in Orlanthi
>> society as it does in, say, Japanese or Roman society. Garundyer
>> could have quite happily disobeyed pop in these circumstances
>> with little or no shame.

>Not if the command is "see the little ones out of this mess!".

He could have killed or driven off the Telmori and the little ones would have been safe.