Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #582

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 22:51:35 +1100

A perplexed Alex writes:
>If this were right (and IMG it isn't), would there be a Realm of Chaos or
>something alike? What would it be like? Something like Lovercraft's
>Dreamlands? Could it be explored?

Find the tale of the 'Outer Atomic Explorers.' I don't recall its adress but Kim Englund's page is a good place to start.

>This may also explain why
>Glorantha's history is so impervious to change - each time something new
>appears, someone wants to change something, the world responds by restoring
>the previous order.

Indeed Gloranthan history abounds with such occasions. If one were to paint broadly the entire end of the age of Empires could be seen as an attempt (or many) at just such a reversion. IIRC Castle Blue is another (failed) attempt at the same.
No such reversions actualy restore the status quo ante change so perhaps it is not so but merely wishful thinking on the part of the restorers. Then again the Gift Carriers certainly eliminated all the 'new' knowledge. I cannot recall the reference but was not Argraths eventual aim to free humanity from this stasis?

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc