Re: Chaos

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 19:52:16 GMT

> If this were right (and IMG it isn't), would there be a Realm of Chaos or
> something alike? What would it be like? Something like Lovercraft's
> Dreamlands? Could it be explored?

There is, in a sense, a Realm of Chaos - think of it like this, outside of Glorantha is Nothing, or in case that is a bit obscure, outsied of Glorantha there is Not-Anything, total Oblivion. If you went exploring there then you would appear in Oblivion and promptly not exist (I'm quite certain that nothing can exist within Oblivion as that would defeat Oblivion's very nature). "Chaos" invaded because this Oblivion, which from what I can derive from Lords of Terror, is seeking to consume Glorantha, and so when a hole was opened up between Glorantha and Oblivion it tainted the world around it creating lots of Oblivion-tainted creatures i.e. Chaos. Chaos seeks Oblivion. There are probably realms tainted thoroughly by chaos, but even these don't come close to being Oblivion - Dorastor springs to mind.

> Is only Chaos that can enter Glorantha, or would there be other things that
> could? Is (in view of this) Glorantha really a closed world? Would an alien
> to Glorantha, maybe a painted Pict from Earth, be sensed as chaotic? Maybe
> that's the key to understand Chaos: what does not belong here.

Technically Glorantha is a Closed World from a gaming point of view. I'm sure if a normal Pict came from earth Sense Chaos wouldn't detect them as such, but the Orlanthi would probably burn them anyway.

> If Chaos can enter the world, can something escape?

If you escaped you'd stop existing as you wouldn't be aprt of reality anymore. The closest you get is Boztakang who looked into the Void and learnt secrets from it.

All IMO

Nikk

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #583