Re : Mastery &Spirits

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:42:47 +0100

Keith N :

>Nick Brooke (without Inside Knowledge):
>
><< HW Mastery *is* far more than a starting character possesses in any ability.
> But it is not unattainably far from a new character's sights. Rather like
> 90% skill in RuneQuest. >>
>
>I also (without Inside Knowledge) had assumed that a Level of Mastery was an
>equivalent of 90%, similarly something like [very stong] would be STR 18.

If we assume that a success in HW is equal to an RQ success, and a special/crit success in HW is equivalent of a special success in RQ then there is an interestign difference.

If I have a skill of 18 in HW then I have a 90% chance of success, but only a 5% chance of a special/crit/whatever they are in HW. In RQ I'd have an 18% chance of a special success. In fact to get statistical equivalence to an RQ skill of 100% you need a HW skill of 4M.

>From the point of view of significance in terms of assumed competence and
psychological advantage I agree though. Having a level of mastery is where it's at.

Simon Hibbs