Re: Argrath vs Arthur

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:22:26 +0100 (BST)

Al Harrison, in the midst of a tortuous thread that may or may not be about 'high level' beginning characters:
> I agree with his original implication that, while high-level PCs are
> acceptable starters for a commonly-understood setting such as Arthurian
> legend, similarly powerful PCs in a setting _not_ inculcated in the
> player's experience from birth would tend to be played less in keeping
> with the setting.

I'm aware you're saying this, though it was deeply unclear if the person you're agreeing with was. I remain quite unconvinced. The whole point of these "high level" starting characters is that they're _easier_ to learn how to play, even within a particular 'well-known' milieu. You've yet to make any osrt of case that this would be any different at all in a Gloranthan game.

To reiterate the basic point: in some ways it's easier to play an archetypal instance of [arbitrarily chosen Keyword] than to play some unfledged youth, whom to play effectively one needs to understand his society in a much more rounded fashion.

Slan,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #585