Re: Entropy

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 05:40:10 +0200

>From the great land of France, where many Gloranthaphiles have trouble
receiving their copies of the Digest for mysterious computer reasons, despite Issaries/Chaosium Inc.'s benevolence ...

Simon Hibbs:

> Sorry, but that wasn't me.

hmmmm ... well, sorry ... !!

> I do not believe that heroquesting is capable of doing _anything_. There are
> limits to what it is possible to achieve.

HAH !!! You're right !!! The nature of reality can be changed, but *not* the history of what has occured, Time being the supreme power, History is difficult to modify ...

> >> "Though inured to death, the Storm Age was shocked the way the Golden
> >> Age had been shocked. True Death, divine entropy, sent some gods into
> >> flight, some into inertia, some into more rabid defense."
> >>
> >> So death was one thing, but the True Death that consumed Genert and
> >> Yamsur was something different, something new.
>
> >Well, why were they shocked "the same way" then?
>
> Because they were again confronted with something new and shocking which
> they had not encountered before.

That's not the point. I wanted to suggest that there is one way of interpreting this phrase (a legitimate reading BTW) based on a similarity of the two. ie YGMV !!!

> If someone pulls a knife on me I am
> shocked.
> If they pull a gun on me instead I am shocked the same way.

Not me !!!

> That does
> not mean that guns and knives are the same thing.

they both kill. from my POV !!

this is anecdotal argumentation ...

> >But the LBQ *changed* the nature of death.
>
> That's a new one on me.

It's not new at all; it changed the nature of Yelm's death (ie he became alive once more) and, since Yelm's Myth was the second strongest death story, it gave hope to the dying that they might live again, which they hadn't before ...

Ring any bells, re: fundamental myths ... ????

> >Post-LBQ death being death with an After Life; Golden Age death
> >being death which leads to some sort of existence in Hell;
>
> Er, there's a difference?

I see one ... YGMV

> In the compromise, the powers of Glorantha agreed to limit themselves to
> their current mythical roles and spheres of influence. Death was one
> of these. I don't see any noticeable difference pre or post compromise.
> Likewise with the LBQ. Yes the LBQ made ressurection possible after
> death, but death itself still works exactly the same way.

That isn't true. Death with possible resurrection >< death without resurrection; this is self-evident. To suggest that the possibility of resurrection is of no consequence re: the nature of death is an absurdity ...

> >> A clear distinction is made between gods who are Gloranthan in nature
> >> and Wakboth, who by implication is not Gloranthan in nature.
>
> >The extra-cosmic origin of Wakboth isn't debated.
>
> And in my view is therefore unnatural.

No !!

> >I believe that Wakboth had a divine essence. That other Gloranthan
> >entities resemble Wakboth, and are divine in nature, supports rather
> >than infirms this belief.
>
> However Walboth is not Gloranthan in the same sense that an alien visiting
> earth would not be terestrial, so whatever essence he may have it isn't
> Gloranthan in origin or nature. Therefore characterising it as divine
> is at least highly speculative.

I disagree; but I asked NIck : please define "god" and then we can then engage in meaningful discussion re: the Devil (aka the anti-god)...

Anyway, if the Devil came from outside Glorantha, then it _isn't_ a closed world, contrary to recent suggestions ... :1-)