More Garundyer

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 16:29:17 +1200

Nikk Effingham:

> > >Why is it essential that all of Garundyer's Iron Council must be new
> > >aquaintances, the people he knows for longer are more likely to have
> > >accompanied him on HeroQuests and thereby gaining their own share of
> > >power and glory.

> > You are treating Heroquests as simple adventures.

>Why do you say that?

Because you imply that a hero's best companions are those who has been adventuring with him for longest.

> >Look at the
> > rest of Gloranthan heroes and see how many have childhood buddies
> > among their boon companions who partake in their quests? I can only
> > think of Keener Than who has now become Sir Ethilrist's enemy.

>Fine. Here is a Hero who has one. What is the problem exactly with
>him knowing Harandos in his childhood?

Because most heroes do not pack their boon companions with their childhood buddies or people whom "he knows for longer are more likely to have accompanied him on HeroQuests and thereby gaining their own share of power and glory."

> > And this has what to do with Owain's UnOrlanthi behaviour? All
> > he does is make a sign of forgiveness and serves Garundyer ever
> > afterwards as a Sword Thane.

>Again, we are talking about a set of notes.

You keep whining this but do nothing to suggest plausible motivations for either Garundyer or Owain. Regardless of whethers it's a set of notes or a full-blown novel, this is a defect in your characterisation of Garundyer and I should not have to endure tiresome protestations about pointing this out.

>The question that need
>to be answered are "Why does Garundyer save Owain's daughter?" -
>merely ending a feud between two people is not UnOrlanthi behaviour,
>at least not IMO.

So why does Garundyer save the daughter of his worst enemy? Not something that your average Orlanthi would do. As for merely ending a feud, your contention that it is unorlanthi behaviour is wrong - it is highly unusual at least and would be considered extremely unusual given what Garundyer has done to Owain.

> > [Garundyer's] an Orlanthi Hero, not someone
> > welcome everywhere. As such a big guy, he's bound to have
> > some people envious of his success or who have a grudge
> > against him. He's not the King, so people aren't obliged to
> > be nice to him.

>No, certainly not obliged. But he is Garundyer, one step away from
>being an Orlanthi god : ) He is the best, he is perfect, he kicks
>ass, he is sickengly Orlanthi, he is ridculously powerful, he is all
>of these things. Wouldn't YOU be nice to him?

All I can say is that you have absolutely no feel for what Orlanthi heroes are like. Garundyer is not a lawful good paladin to quote the other game and people are not obliged to be nice to him. Consider Argrath and Kallyr for example.

> > I think King Kochalong has a far more valid claim to symbolizing
> > Lankst.

>How?

Because he's the _King_? What do you think Orlanthi have Kings _for_?

> > And given the nature of Orlanthi society, it is bound
> > to be riven by factional disputes.

>Garundyer's family is dead, he's spent all of his life beating up
>other people in the name of the Jofrain Confederation for the good of
>Lankst and is generally out of touch with normal culture. Who's he
>going to be in dispute with?

Huh? Why on earth would Garundyer act for the Good of Lankst if he doesn't have any kin? He would be someone like Harrek the Berserk and wander the world instead if he had no kin.

> > For the Orlanthi to be
> > united behind someone who isn't their King seems false to me and
> > it would be a major cause of concern for the King of Lankst, whose
> > claim to power rests not on the fact that he's well-loved but that
> > he and his brothers can breath fire against his enemies. Already
> > we've identified someone who could hate Garundyer.

>Garundyer is the embodiment of Lankst's attempts to stand untied i.e.
>the Jofrain Confederation.

And this meaningless statement refutes the fact that the King could hate Garundyer in what way?

> > I'm dubious about his hatred of the Otkorioni given that the
> > latter manage to defeat Sentanos with Sigolf Cloudcrusher, a
> > spirit liberated by Garundyer himself.

>Something I'm sure Garundyer was violently pissed off about.

So why doesn't Garundyer hate the person who gave Otkorion the secrets of Sigolf Cloudcrusher? Who was the person who gave them these secrets?

>we
>already know that there are wars between Surkorion/Lankst and
>Otkorion, over religious matters, and that the Church is slowly
>trying to spread its influence northwwards.

We do? The Surkorioni (kindred to the Otkorioni) have joined Lankst recently and the ToTRM/Tradetalk set of freeforms seem to think that Otkorion sacked the Galvosti of Valantia with the aid of Lanksti barbarians.

> > >Owains hatred was great, Garundyer actions and Owains forgiveness were
> > >exceptional, but for the greater good, and all Heroes are meant to be
> > >exceptional.

>Let's change the word "forgiveness" (which I'm sure isn't an orlanthi
>word) and replace it with "end the blood feud and settle their
>differences".

If it walks like a duck...

> > Mercy is another virtue that Orlanth doesn't commend to his
> > worshippers...

>How's that Mercy? To me kneecapping someone is a bit brutal, and to
>an Orlanthi it could seem that way too.

Yeah so? Orlanth does not care whether his worshippers are kind or cruel. To object to Garundyer kneecapping a companion on the grounds that it is unorlanthi is specious. Besides _your_ version of Garundyer had no inhibitions about crippling Owain mercilessly as a result of defeating him in a duel. So can you explain why one is acceptable to your ideal while the other is not?

>Sure, the guy might not fight
>alongside Garundyer ever again, but hobbling one of your own for life
>for a single comment is a bit strong.

A similar episode is found in the RQ Viking's book.

> > An major virtue of Orlanthi society is _honor_. If Garundyer
> > does not care about that, then I find it difficult to see how
> > Orlanthi can respect him.

>I never said he didn't care about honour, just reputation.His
>reputation grows without him trying to make it grow.

Reputation is synonymous with honor in Orlanthi society. To acquire a good reputatution mandates that Garundyer act honorably according to Orlanthi ideals amongst other things.

> > Acting for them
> > means that he acts according to their expectations, _not_ diregard
> > them on the pretext that he is acting for an invisible greater good
> > of Lankst.

>What expectations are we talking about here? That he should kill
>Owain? That wouldn't be a universal Orlanthi expectation.

If you hadn't interjected (deleted) inane one-liners then you would have seen that the paragraph was the conclusion of a rebuttal to your absurd notion that Garundyer can ignore honor and still be an Orlanthi hero.

> > Leaving him open to a charge of being a coward in later life. Surely
> > such a great hero could have stood and saved his father back then?
> > You do see now what happens if one starts ignoring the Orlanthi
> > virtues?

>I like IUL Labour's (????) comment that he was trying to save the
>kids.

If he had killed the Telmori, which as a child prodigy, he was entirely capable of doing so then he could have saved his father and the Telmori.

> > Why not? This is an article _about_ Garundyer. Argrath kills
> > tax-collectors at a young age. Rastalulf is similarly precocious.
> > Having him mollycoddled detracts from his prowess.

>Why? Why not? In the end it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

If it doesn't make the "blind bit of difference" why don't you just quit wasting people's time and ignore what they say, eh?