Garundyer/Galachulainn?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:52:14 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham gets uncharacteristically vehement:
> I should also say that I hate Garundyer, but that's because I see him =
as
> Cuchulainn, who I also dislike. Or Galahad (whom I liked as a youth, =
but
> grew to dislike because of his lack of facets).

Those are a strangely disparate pair of analogues. I agree that Galahad's flawlessness is a large problem in any sort of reader identification or even sympathy with him. I don't think the same can be said about C=FAchulainn, though -- how many flaws as a person and and a hero could one cram into the one individual? Of course, he's unreasonably and excessively 'powerful', and 'heroic', but that would be a strange complaint to make in a HW type of context...

Sl=E1n,
Alex.