Killing the Bat

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:41:08 -0400

One GM I knew allowed his players to kill the bat by casting a Counter Chaos spell on it, then slicing the resultant perfectly ordinary bat in two with a broadsword ...

IMO all attempts to scale up the RQ rules to what large groups can achieve are fundamentally flawed.

(1) We know (see for example the writeup of the
Cradle scenario) that what large groups of magicians can achieve is beyond the scope of the ordinary rules. And the bat has a large group of high-level magicians on it.

(2) The percentages in RQ are intended to make
interesting things happen reasonably often in smallscale  combat. If you try assuming they apply on larger scales, you get the scenario quoted in Murphy's Rules where a regiment of elite soldiers armed with battleaxes fights for 5 minutes, at the end of which time two-thirds of their number have chopped their own legs off.

Andrew