Re: Glowline, Sylila, Closed World

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 07:17:31 +0100

___
Ian writes:

> My question is, where is the Glowline on this trip?

See the maps in "Tarsh War" or "King of Sartar" p.129, where the Glowline is clearly marked. Alternatively, use the border of Lunar Tarsh (from whatever map you've got).

The Glowline's protrusion into Tarsh is a roughly circular expanse measured from the Temple of the Reaching Moon, just including Bagnot and Slave Wall. The best source is the Dragon Pass boardgame's map, but if you had that you wouldn't be asking, right?

Andrew writes (again, with much violation of Rule #1 -- check your mailing software, maybe?):

> A while ago Nick Brooke said there was a myth about Orogeria and the
> Star Bear in RGtGlamour. Nick also said the myth was used to convert the
> Orlanthi of Sylila. I thought Sylila/Dara-ni was colonized by the Dara
> Happans before the Goddess, did I miss something?

Sylila isn't Dara-ni. Dara-ni is a DH colony in Sylila, but Sylila is an Orlanthi barbarian land. See the First and Second Wane histories at:

http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/index.html

"Dara-ni, a previous subject state of Alkoth, provided refuge for the River People and Dara Happan refugees, and held a firm alliance with the elves of Rist, and maintained powerful allies among the barbarians of Sylila..."

Ash n' Sue write:

> However, just 'cause the Argraths, Hareks, Jar of Eels and whoever
> didn't leave Glorantha doesn't mean that nothing comes in or gets out.
> If you want to add <generic fantasy element> to Glorantha, it can be
> still Glorantha. You can have an "open" Glorantha and not be at odds
> with most other peoples versions of the world.

I agree completely. The one version you will be at odds with is the "official" closed world of Glorantha. You will in fact be *more* in harmony with Chaosium's Gloranthan house campaigns if you do open the world up and admit vikings, DnD magic-users, etc. It was after having done so that the current policy was reached; I guess they're trying to save you from their mistakes. But we're all grown adults now, no?

The biggest problem is that by including any important non-Gloranthan elements you move your game outside the shared Gloranthan experience of other gamers ("Well, *I* killed the Crimson Bat with Stormbringer / with a tac-nuke / with a Wish spell"). If you're playing a DnD or Stormbringer campaign and nicking bits from another game-world, I can't see why this should stop you. If you're speculating about the origins of a prominent Gloranthan character, OTOH...

Cheers, Nick

PS: Colin, it was Redfox who turned up in Grizzie. (Since Jar-eel *is* Red Sonja to Harrek's Conan, we don't need to import the Real Thing). Greg was doubtless aware of all his own youthful crossover experiments when he OK'd Oliver's publication...