Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #594 (Closed Glorantha)

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:05:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 22:59:18 +0200
> From: "Erik Sieurin" <erik.sieurin_at_swipnet.se>
> Subject: Closed worlds and killed bats
>
> (OTOH, if your campaign IS multiverse-hopping, a multiverse might be a =
> good idea. I still love the idea of an 'Around the multiverse in 80 =
> days'-mini-campaign. With a Phileas Fogg-lookalike Grandbretanian =
> Sorcerer-Scientist Noble betting his fortune on being to able to touch =
> on the 'uttermost dimensions', using the newest Grandbretanian =
> techonology, and doing it in just 80 days. The PCs are his new servants =

I was considering a similar style for a campaign several years back, based on an idea that some player got out of a magazine somewhere. It would work like this:

Everybody plays themselves as characters, starting in the Real World. No rules needed, just real world product pricing :). They are approached by a rich, eccentric, mad-scientist type who offers each person 10 million dollars to perform a "secret mission". Everyone gets 1 million dollars up front to outfit themselves how ever they may choose and must show up at the mad scientist's mansion on a certain day, with the caveat that whatever is purchased must be carried to the mansion on one's person. Once there, the characters are shown a "dimensional-travel" machine that fits X people and the gear they're carrying. The mad-scientist describes how his old nemesis so-and-so has created a way of creating literary/fantasy worlds in dimensional "pockets", and has created several already as part of grand scheme to eventually get enough pockets up and running to use them to subvert the character's own reality. The characters must journey to several key "pockets" and take steps to disable this arch-villain's plans in each one.

Pocket realities are each played using a different game and gameworld. Characters have to be re-created for each new pocket as they arrive and are "colored" by the pocket they enter. Pockets I was considering at the time were:

DnD
Champions
Paranoia
Call of Cthulhu
James Bond

Gloranthan message content:
FWIW, I briefly considered having a Runequest pocket, but discarded the idea. Why? Closed world; too much residual baggage involved. Of all the other games listed above, Runequest was the only one that I considered worthy of avoiding even the possiblity of tainting...