Nature and Frontiers of Glorantha

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:23:32 +0100

Julian Lord :

>So, methods for dying were basically the same pre- and post- LBQ ...
>Whacking Yelm over the head with a sword; doing the same thing to your player
>character; = death.
>Not what I'm talking about.

>The mythic consequences, as well as the possible historic consequences of
>death were altered. If your basic death mythology changes, then the way that
>a culture thinks of death also changes, which in turn changes the nature of
>death for that culture.

When Yelm was killed and went to the underworld, Orlanth decided that he was wrong and realy ought to go to the underworld and put it right again. At that time, before he had done it, was it possible for Orlanth & Co to go to the underworld and bring back Yelm? To me, the answer is yes even though it hadn't been done yet. The Lightbringers either figured out or guessed that it was possible to do this, i.e. that it was 'in the nature of things' for it to be possible.

>Whether false or not, the issue isn't as clear cut as you suggest.

Perhaps, I'm not saying this discussion isn't worthwhile, it's actualy quite interesting.

>Chalana Arroy went on the LBQ, and after a while (ie after Arroin had the
>crap beaten out of him), no divine methods of healing were available (if you
>were an Orlanthi; remember, this is the LBQ POV). If the Arroini couldn't heal
>you, and the shamans couldn't either, you were dead meat.

"It's the underworld for you mate!" Fair enough.

>*I* think that the idea of all death = Entropy during this period to be a nifty
>cosmological mirror of this.

You mean while the LBQ was being performed and the lightbringer gods were not available to their worshipers? Humakt was not on the LBQ, so I don't see why it should have any effect on the operation of death, even for the Orlanthi.

>Basically, the difference between Heaven and Hell. There are various possible
>afterlives, but before the LBQ, there was just eternal, hopeless misery in
>Hell.

And there still is for many beings.

>Chaos has some sort of physical existence outside Glorantha.

Ok, we appear to agree to differ on that one, as on many things.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #600