Life in Prax

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:38:14 EDT

Robert:-
<< if I were an atheist farmer from somewhere  else in Glorantha (!?), and I suddenly came to Prax with  a number of my non-Praxian animals. Would it be  *impossible* for me to live a long, healthy life based  on those animals in Prax because of myth and 'magic'? >>

Although I am a bit in the ' that question should not be asked' camp, my own view would be that the soil 'acts as if' it lacks sufficient nutrients and water to maintain any sustainable horticulture, or even 'any horticulture'. Other sorts of animals would either be Eiritha beasts (such as cows), presumably rabbits, chickens, pigs, that sort of thing. I imagine it would be extremely tough to get any of these survive. In the soon to be reprinted, Pavis (I think) there is a description of farmers in the valley who tried sheep but these sucumbed to hoof rot (or something similar) and they now have exotic 'wooly' long haired impalas. Whether you would call this a magic effect, or a real effect, or what I don't know. I also do not know if the situation could be remedied by extensive irrigation, Genetically Modified crops, Aldryami Modified Crops, fertilisers, or the resurrection of Genert.

[I think it better that there be multiple explanations from different POVs for most Gloranthan phenomena, 'a magic annd myth' explanation should not rule out a 'modern science/materialist' explanation.]

The same sort of argument could be made about the Fever Trees between the Wastes and Prax, which are unsuitable for Praxian animals. Pent is a more reasonale area to ponder as it seems (to me at least) to have less well defined borders, a history of settling farmers (who all get slaughtered) and less restrictive 'chaparral' (AFAIK) . Was Pent blasted by Chaos like Prax was?

Keith N