Chapparal

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 19:53:55 +1200

Robert McArthur:

>in Prax, the chapparal is
>supposed to be inimicable to pure human existance -
>the tribes *cannot* exist without their animals to
>extract sustenance from the earth. Now, I am wondering
>whether it is a magical thing or a 'real', physical
>phenomenon.

A bit of both.

>OK, before I get shot down for the last sentence,
>let me posit: if I were an atheist farmer from somewhere
>else in Glorantha (!?),

Arolanit, Old Trade, God Forgot, Sog City and perhaps Orathorn all have populations of atheistic farmers.

>and I suddenly came to Prax with
>a number of my non-Praxian animals. Would it be
>*impossible* for me to live a long, healthy life based
>on those animals in Prax because of myth and 'magic'?

Your animals would be unable to live on the Chaparral because they are not adapted to do so. The praxian beasts were also incapable of doing so at first but Waha worked mighty magic to change this. One could in theory duplicate this, but people always find it easier to live off Praxian beasts instead. A case in point, the Pure Horse Tribe found it easier to turn some of their horses into Zebras rather than duplicate Wahat's Covenant.