Bat

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:24:29 +1200

Keith Nellist:

>Can anyone answer whether there is a link between Mahaquata, the bat winged
>goddess of death (the assassin of Murharzarm) who hangs upside down below
>the cube of the earth, and the Crimson Bat who hangs upside down somewhere
>presumably (under the moon?) when it is not flying around.

The Bat is the Death Goddess of Rinliddi Bird People (it flies yet is not a bird) and may be called Mahaquata, I don't know. An alternate possibility is that Mahaquata is what the Dara Happans call the Bat. It no longer hangs in hell, but instead resides in the Bat Cave on the surface of the Moon (cf ToTRM#16). FWIW The Pelorian myth of how it came to be the Death Goddess is given in the Entekosiad p95.

The Uz of the Blue Moon Plateau worship a similar deity called Quatanara. They don't have a Blue Bat but they do have Bat-trolls.