Bat Goddess

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 04:26:45 EDT

Nils:
<< The Bat is a monstrosity, summoned/created  by the Red Goddess, not a natural bat warped by chaos.  It seems quite fitting that this demonic being took a  shape in the mundane world which could symbolize death  and destruction to its summoner, steeped in Pelorian  myth as she is. >>

Although I agree with the Pelorian myth bit the Goddess can only have summoned the Bat as it did exist in the First Age. It seems to me theat the Red Goddesss has tried to re do all of Yelm's myths for herself, all with a slight twist.

glowing celestial body
son is an emperor
rescued by seven lightbringers
conquors Death (in the form of a Bat)
Orlanth's rival

there is even (IMO) a Dominion of Shargash type parallel with Sheng Seleris.

WIth regards to the Bat, I have never seen a reference to Sheng Seleris ever confronting the Bat. I'm not sure Jannisor encountered it, in fact it doesn't seem to be present for much of Lunar history. This leads m eyto think that the Bat is not really manifest much of the time. Any comments?

Keith N