The Greater Darkness

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:32:46 +0100

Dougie :

>>Except trolls, who look back on it as a time of expansion, conquest
>>and prosperity when all the world was their larder.
>
>Surely you are refering to the Lesser Darkness, the time of the Gods Wars.
>The Greater Darkness was when chaos seeped into the world and all natural
>beings fought for their very exestance.

>From the Kyger Litor cult writeup :

>Kyger Litor led them by secret ways to the surface world where Night
>already hid, and so began the Great Darkness. Trolls and their Dark God
>allies fought against the forces of the Surface World, where all was
>already well-disintegrated in the Gods War. Many spirits were killed
>trying to fight the exiled trolls, who still were very powerful.

Yelm was killed by Orlanth at the start of the Storm Age which is either the same as or continuous with the Lesser Darkness. The arrival of the trolls in the surface world coincided with the start of the Great Darkness.

>The trolls ruled much of the surface world during the Great Darkness,
>but they also bore the brunt of the fighting against the things of chaos
>which swarmed upon the world with the Devil. Islands of life clung
>precariously to their questionable existence through the War Against
>Chaos, and were often led by Trolls and their gods. Of those gods Kyger
>Litor was the most popular.

Both of us seem to be correct. The trolls were the most powerfull faction at the time of the Great Darkness and ruled much of the world. This also put them bang slap in the way of the forces of chaos.

Zorak Zorani remeber this time as their most triumphant and want to make the world like the Great Darkness again, when there was no healing (Seal Wound) and there was no distinction between the living and the dead (Zombie Magic) and all the world fought chaos.

Smells a bit like Shargash, if you ask me.

Simon Hibbs