Bat

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:25:41 EDT

David Cake:

<< The Second Council magicians under Nysalor magically empowered it and
 somewhat changed its nature, and used it as a weapon. Arkat fought it, and  wiped out the Scarlet Bat cult that controlled it.>>

This is an interesting revelation. Presumably the Scarlet Bat was on a similar feeding regime, and the Bat Priests were responsible to the Lord God. I guess that it didn't glow, but without hair it must've looked pretty horrible. It's Chaos Scream could be a Death Scream?

 <<The Red Goddess is responsible for its current form, as she created its  skin, including its blood spurting eyes.>>

I wonder where she got these eyes and skin from? Has the Sky Bear got all its skin? I cannot think of any other hairy beasts that might be mythologically appropriate but feel that there should be a source of a new skin the size of the Bat's.

<< It is not known at which point it became chaotic ->>

I would have the Not Black bat as Death - were the souls survive, and the Crimson Bat as Chaos/Annhilation, where the individual is lost forever.

The best spell for getting the RQ3 bat (rules construct-wise) is to get a Turn Blow spell and then throw yourself in into the Bat' s mouth with it's 2500pt Acid (presume Acid works via Turn Blow) .

Peter Metcalfe:
<< Sheng Seleris did face Yara Aranis who IMO is much worse than the
 Bat. So it may be that he defeat the Bat with ease.>>

This is also my opinion, I see no reason to doubt that Sheng did defeat the Bat I just wanted to know if there was any record either way.

 <<As for Jannisor not fighting the Bat, the only thing that I can think  of is that he participated in a civil war within the Lunar Empire. In  such cases, use of the Bat might not be a good thing to use against  enemy cities, or even might have defected to the other side (like the  CharUn did).>>

This is good reasoning as well although Jannisor must have been aware of the Bat, and been prepared in some way to deal with this combat trump. The Red Emperor has got his historians to describe it as a clever tactical retreat and not using the Bat would fit in with this. Jannisor did manage to bind the Crazed Tribe who had been created by the first appearance of the Bat. I wondered if the fear of another appearance of this sort of people prevented the Emperor using the Bat.

Thanks for the feedback. Will there be a White Bat when Peace is finally achieved?

Keith N