More Bat

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:52:36 +1200

David Cake:

>>A Great Darkness Horror that's _not_ chaotic? Nah.

> But is it a Great Darkness horror, or a Pre-Great Darkness horror
>that just ran amuck during the Great Darkness?

Cults of Terror and ToTRM#8 are pretty explicit that it was a chaotic monster that aided the armies of chaos during the Greater Darkness. I see nothing whatsoever in the GRAY or the Entekosiad that even contradicts this.

Orlanth saw Wakboth before the birth of Barntar (KoS p73). Should we then conclude that Wakboth was a non-chaotic god originally?

>And
>things it swallowed back then (ie Rinliddi) were not utterly destroyed
>(like death, rather than oblivion).

You are taking a figurative expression way too literally. Anything swallowed by the Bat back then is utterly destroyed. Otherwise we are left with the ludicrous image of a horror which didn't destroy things utterly in the Great Darkness but does now.

Brian Kondalski:

>> A Great Darkness Horror that's _not_ chaotic? Nah.

>Well (IMHO), there must be plenty of non-chaotic Great Darkness Horror's
>in Glorantha, just ask any troll!

Gloranthan horrors are generally creatures like the Sky Terror, the Mother of Monsters, Cwm and the Hydra.