Heroquesting knowledge

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_dstc.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:04:04 +1000

>From what I have read (little though it is) about heroquesting,
(one of) the most important things is to know what to do when. I'm assuming a quest which re-enacts BTW! So, given that there are a small number of 'stations' - typically 5-7 - is there any reason why the information needed couldn't be distilled into a couple of sentences.
e.g. when you meet the troll, kill him. When you try and cross the bridge, fall in and give the catfish your earth gift, ...

Now, there's one main reason why it may be possible to do this but it isn't being done. The first is that the cults have a lot of interest in spicing it up, adding twists etc. for strangers. They put in riddles that only someone with the correct 'virtues' or/and cult knowledge can interpret etc.

I'm wondering whether Arkat was so successful, as were the God Learners, because they a) could distill it down and b) *did* do so?

Robert McArthur