Yet Another Tentacles Con Report

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:43:16 +0100

Right, after two days of reflection I think I'm about ready to give my thoughts on the Con. First off, I have to say it was excelent fun. This time round the weather was gorgeous too. This was the second time I had been to Tentacles, so I already knew many of the Castle Bacharach regulars, as well as the european Convulsion crowd.

Greg was guest of honour, as you probably know, and he certainly earned it. His voice was sounding a bit dodgy already on Friday night, but he managed to keep going all the way through untill Sunday night. Tentacles is a much smaller con than Convulsion and has a proportionately larger number of non-gloranthan gamers too, so for us serious Gloranthophiles we got a lot of Greg for our money. Some of the seminars had only half a dozen attendees, but since I was one of them I wasn't complaining. Greg, the Tales crew and the various other panelists still came up with the goods whether there were 25 people present or 5. It was especialy nice to put a face to the name of David Dunham and have a look at King of Dragon Pass.

Since Nils and Alex were both present there was a lot of eastern stuff being aired. In fact the east Isles and Kralorela panel on sunday night went on for about 5 hours, though in truth we only stayed (mostly) on-subject for two or three hours!

Greg was showing off some hand drawn maps of Glorantha during the godtime from various ages, from the points of view of easterners and the malkioni. The eastern myths are quite different from the stuff we are used to, though it's still possible to draw some parallels with the god learnerised material we're more familiar with.

If you saw the myth of the month item on the west during the god time, the western maps would have been very illuminating. We also discovered something a bit new. The map of the west is described as a quarter of the world in the shape of a triangle. This looks like a right angle triangle from above, but should of course be a perfect equilateral triangle. In fact it is, that side being once face of the Cosmic Mountain in the shape of a pyramid! we also determined that the Mostali don't make borg-like cubic megastructures, but pyramids that just look square on the maps. It's lovely to see Greg's own mental image of Glorantha actualy evolve before your eyes. He's like a kid with a big grin on his face sometimes.

As usual, even with a weekend and at least 8 hours of panels, I didn't get a chance to ask more than a small fraction of the questions I have about Glorantha.

Another high point was Alex showing off the latest version of the Java Gloranthan ephemeris. It's beautiful and I hope the developers decide to release it some time soon. Somebody had set up a projector and a big screen in the main hall of the castle, so we had a display that must have been eight feet high. Lovely!

Rick Meints also had some display boards showing off the cover and some sample pages from the upcoming Pavis and Big Rubble reprint. Dario has come up trumps again with a lovely cover design. Don't miss his cover design for the latest issue of tales either - or it's contents that look outstanding, although I haven't had time to get stuck into it yet. While we're on the subject of publications, I recommend you check out the MIG2 too. It's a must for collectors and anyone interested in Gloranthan and RQ publication history.

Simon Hibbs