re: Farming in Prax; ducks

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:45:08 -0700

Martin Dick

> With regards to the thread on farming, I think (IMO) that the
> infertility of Prax and the Wastes has a magical basis and
> that magic is necessary for farming to exist even near the
> Zola Fel. Why do I think this? Well, because I come from the
> Wimmera/Mallee in western Victoria in Australia which while being
> far drier than Prax (according to the tables in River of Cradles and
> also a pretty infertile area, is also a major wheat-growing area
> in Australia). So if people can make a go of it in the Mallee, I think
> magic must be involved, especially around the Zola Fel.

I don't know much about Australian agriculture, but my guess is that you use magic. Fertilizer and irrigation are not natural occurrences...

Peter Metcalfe

> The Ducks live in and around the Upland Marsh where they make a
> living as fishers and petty-criminals.

At one time, many of the Dragon Pass ducks also engaged in farming (possibly more like gardening -- I don't think they grew grain, only vegetables). Such ducks were probably driven out of useful land before Sartar's arrival, though some may remain on the edges of the Marsh.