FW: The Glorantha Digest V6 #612

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:30:00 -0400

Martin Dick said:

>So, my point of view is that Prax as a whole is magically infertile to a
>large extent, that farming is difficult even along the Zola Fel valley and
>that the Ernaldan fertility magics are what make it possible for farming
>to succeed. I think this emphasises the alien/foreign nature of the land
>to the Sartarite/Yelmalian farmers, who are still after a long time,
>outsiders in Prax. I think a background, where the Sartarite immigrants
>are struggling to make things meet in their settlements is a lot more
>conducive to an interesting campaign based there. And of course, the
>recent arrivals have it much tougher than those people down in Sun County
>and the like who have adapted to some extent.

>Now, we could just say that Prax is infertile naturally, but I prefer
>magical/mythical explanations in Glorantha.

Sounds good to me. I've ran a scenario in my campaign where the Lunars tried to introduce agriculture to Balazar by marrying a Lunar goddess into the local pantheon. Without the support an agricultural goddess provides agriculture is very difficult and fairly unrewarding in Balazar. (Other than
animal husbandry, but a stolen pig goddess supports that.) Now whether the region is "naturally" infertile OR the local spirits/goddess actively opposes agriculture due to their hostility pretty much ends up looking more or less the same to the locals. The magical/mythical answer is more fun game-wise.

Oliver D. Bernuetz