Pronunciation schmonunciation

From: NFranz197_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 18:04:25 EDT

On 5/29/99, Brad Furst wrote:
>I have encountered some discrepencies in local parlance >recently: What is
the correct/accepted pronunciation of the >name "Genertela"? How does Greg(c) say it?

>Is the _G_ hard, such that it would alliterate with Greg's Gods of
>Glorantha?
>Is the _G_ soft, such that it would alliterate with "gem" or George?
>Is the _G_ aspirated as in Spanish?

>Which syllable(s) should be accented/emphasized?
>What about the name "Genert"?

Hey, here's what I always say when confronted with questions like that: It's a fictitious world, and we do not even have specific hints or guidelines as to which real-life languages of which time periods Gloranthan languages are based (unlike in Middle-Earth, which has some pronunciation guidelines). OK, I admit that there's apparently some Old Norse and Celtic in the Orlanthi names, and Lunar proper names of people sometimes have a leaning towards (pseudo-)Latin (but not a lot of the place-names, ... kinda goes without saying). Since it is all fictitious anyway, and "Gods of Genertela" states somewhere that there are many different local pronunciations of the gods' names, I am always very liberal with the way my players pronounce Gloranthan words, as long as I still understand them and they don't stray too far from the official spelling. In other words, there ARE certainly many different ways how to pronounce the names even in a strictly Gloranthan context, and those will all be right in their own language-community, of course, since you've got a lot of languages _in_ that world, let alone the many dialects within some languages. Pelorian and Theyalan languages, e.g., don't even belong to the same language family, so they must be as different as English and Turkish, or as Italian and Chinese. I think a form of what linguists call "spelling pronunciation" is a good guideline here.

I myself certainly say "Genertela" with a hard G, as in "get" or "girl", but occasionally I slip and say it with a soft G, as "JENN-er-teh-lah". Both sounds fine. I always stress the first syllable, though. If Italian fans stress the penultimate one, and French fans stress the last one by custom, I'd never start arguing about it. Glorantha is international.