od and you want to say "good show"

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:55:48 EDT

> From: "Loren Miller" <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
> Subject: RE: Bats again
> > David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au> asks:
> > Which just begs the question, why is the death god of the Rinliddi
> > chaotic?
> It just points out the limitation of that whole chaotic/not-chaotic
> metaphor. If the not-black bat has to be chaotic or not-chaotic, and
> doesn't have the choice of being simply *HORRIBLY EVIL AND MALEVOLENT*,
> then it will fall into a chaotic bucket and be counted as chaos by the
> orlanthi chaos counters.

Just because the Not-Black Bat wasn't Chaotic (assuming that it wasn't, which is the more interesting case) doesn't mean that it can't be "*HORRIBLY EVIL AND MALEVOLENT*" as well. Shargash and Molanni may not be Chaotic to the Orlanthi, but they are still rather disliked, as I recall. There is also a reasonable chance that it was corrupted during the Darkness, like Vivamort, which means that the question becomes rather hair-splitting, anyway.

All that its being Chaotic means is that its victims are completely destroyed, rather than "just" turned into a few million spirits. Most of its victims won't care too much one way or the other. Their descendents might, though, since they won't have the gaping hole in their family tree where several generations of the forgotten used to be. This, of course, assumes that the Bat didn't re-eat the souls of its victims once it became Chaotic, which seems more likely as I type the idea.

In any case, if you quest back to the Darkness and expect that its supposed non-chaotic nature will make it some natural ally against Chaos, boy will your death be stupid! If you try to contact its victims, either before or after their deaths, however, you just might have some success. But don't bet on it, since the Goddess probably backdated its Chaotic nature (during her Quest to Find Herself) to be a more useful weapon, as well.