Re: military sciences

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:21:55 -0500 (CDT)

Philippe Bourgeois <bourp00_at_dmi.usherb.ca> wrote

> would any of you know of some good references on the gloranthan art of
>warfare,
> from the cost and methods of recruiting an army, the cost of keeping, general
> combat tactics. I don't know if there is glorantha-specific info about
>all this
> but i would be interested to find out. My guesses would be that loskalmi
>is like
> renaissance style english cavalry(before the rifles), the lunars would
>akin to the
> roman, the orlanthi to the celts, picts, vikings etc, and the nomads by the
> mongols. these description gives a good estimate but naturally don't
>include magic
> in their tactics which can make a huge difference.

Sandy did a bit on the gloranthan art of war a few years ago http://chmeee.pronetsolutions.com/gd/glorantha%2Dv2/0881.html

I happen to think that Archer Jones is somewhat overrated and his proposal is pushed by himself and Sandy well past the point of sillyness.

Sandy has lots and lots of notes and comments about war in Glorantha. Search chmeee.pronetsolutions.com with "sandy near war" and variations on that.

There was a bit on praxian combat escalation a few years ago. http://chmeee.pronetsolutions.com/gd/glorantha%2Dv1/0527.html

I personally use Loskalm as having an infantry core, based on the mid-late 16th century spanish infantry (with crossbows) rather than the more traditional view. Basically Loskalm has a national army, with the motiviation based on the 1790's French. So they have cavalry rather than knights, etc.

This is rather different than the traditional view, so it probably worn't help much. The Traditional View is that the Loskalm have all their good troops in large masses of knights, who fight in tactical style shown by the French at Crecy.

Basically the Lunars are Greeks, not Romans. The Pentans are the pre-mongol central asian nomads, so they lack the organization, discipline and leadership that the Mongols under Gengis Khan had. The Praxians are the Plains Indians, though more organized than them.

The orlanthi (in sartar) are similar to the pre-norman english and the Vikings. More or less, anyway. The Oralanthi elsewhere may be very different.

Sandy once mentioned that a German village was supposed to support one knight, and his equipment was worth the entire value of village and livestock.

For what it's worth.

Kevin