Gloranthan armies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 00:11:55 +1200

>From: Philippe Bourgeois <bourp00_at_dmi.usherb.ca>

>would any of you know of some good references on the gloranthan art of
>warfare, from the cost and methods of recruiting an army, the cost of
>keeping, general combat tactics.

David Dunham keeps a few essays by Sandy on his webpage. They are:

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/aow.html
http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/gaow.html
http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/lunarArmy.html
http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/prax_ambush.html

None of these give any details about costs and logistics however.

>I don't know if there is glorantha-specific info about all this
>but i would be interested to find out. My guesses would be that loskalmi
>is like renaissance style english cavalry(before the rifles), the lunars
>would akin to the roman, the orlanthi to the celts, picts, vikings etc,
>and the nomads by the mongols.

Loskalm is Arthurian and Wagnerian Knights wandering around in full plate and two-handed swords. They are a militaristic society (with banners, salutes and patrioic marching songs) and have a sizable army of heroes to boot with loads of attendant footsoldiers.

I should point out that the Loskalmi plate armor is _very_ unusual in glorantha. Normally the best that anybody ever had before Loskalm emerged from the Ban was byzantine-style lamellar armour like the Seshnegi who are now only starting to copy the Losklami. The Seshnegi are more typical of the west with landed knights and assorted men-at-arms and mercenaries.

The Lunars are hellenistic rather than romans. They fight with Phalanxes and Peltasts and Persian style heavy cavalry (from Carmania). No elephants but the Emperor is attempting to build up an army of bird riders in the northwest of the Empire.

Orlanthi is pretty much what you describe.

The nomads are two-fold. The Nomads of Prax are based upon plains indians AFAIK with funny mounts to make 'em look exotic. The Nomads of Pent are horse-nomads but they're closer to Huns and Alans rather than the Mongols.