Re: HW Bump-ups

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:22:51 +0100 (BST)

Mikael Raaterova replies to my question on bump-ups:
> "Exactly" might be difficult since HW is still a draft. AFAIK mastery
> levels work like this (assuming i wasn't Gregged at Tentacles):

We can be as exact as we like, which of course doesn't mean we'll be right... Caveat noted, of course.

> >In particular, what's the deal the 'success number', and determining
> >who won, in a contest involving such?

> I assume "success number" is the same as victory score.

I mean, when you score a success, and your opponent does likewise, the number used to determine who actually won. If one simply uses the die roll in the case of a bumped-up failure (or a double-bumped-up fumble) you'll invariably get a lousy success, which seems dubious, from both an intuitive and a statistical POV.

A fix may be in the post, but I wanted to first of all clarify what the 'status quo' was, and secondly to poll thoughts on whether others thought this was iffy, too.

Cheers,
Alex.