Re: Bump Ups

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:02:15 EDT

Eric:

<< you are assuming that experience and character development in HW works like RQ. It doesn't. What if you could go to the hero plane, steal a spirit, and suddenly jump 20 points in a skill? >>

     You're putting that forward as a *good thing*? Maybe I don't understand this resolution roll thing as well as I thought I did, but 20 points sounds like a heck of a lot chance-of-success wise...

      OTOH, as I said before, if the meaning of 'bump up' or even the resolution mechanic has changed since the drafts Mikael etc. seem to be talking about, then it could be that that is why the above looks so undesirable - it isn't really, there's just some other mistaken assumption in there somewhere.

<< >0..W : Joe Orlanthi
>W..WW : 'ordinary' rune master
>WW..W3 : tribal champion
>W3..W4 : local cultural hero
>w4..W5 : pan-cultural hero

>How does that grab you all? (On the basis of off-list email, I
>hope at least one of you agrees with it. <g>)

 Frankly, the list already looks much like your list.>>

      Hmm... not to me, it doesn't. I don't however claim that, should the official list look more like Doyle's than Alex's that that would be a fatal flaw in the system, just yet another target for house rules.

<< Why can't you assume that the rules will work?>>

     I, for one, certainly wouldn't assume that they *won't* work, but when somebody describes the rules in a way that makes them sound bad, and when that person appears to be in a position to know what he's talking about, it would be fairly odd to *assume* that he's wrong about them, wouldn't it? He might be, he might not be, that's why it's good to try and clarify it.

     Besides, as I keep saying, no matter how good the rules are, there'll be some people who will find they don't work for them. We are not all the same and we don't all want the same things; that's just life.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky