Answering my own question...

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:16:51 GMT

All right, I've managed to dig out the references to Tessele the True from my pile of Glorantha stuff. She's a First Age Heroine of the Cult of Aurelion (as it then was) and she has the most bodacious Heroquest which can actually undo the 'total destruction by Chaotic Entropy' that we were talking about recently.

According to the Caladraland write up in TRADETALK (which may or may not be canonical) her periodic reappearances seem to give the Stamp of Sacred Approval to political and reform movements in Caladraland and maybe the Holy Country as a whole.

According to Greg's fragment of Pharonic memoir (which had better be canonical) she seems to be something more important than that. From the way Belintar is gloating over having her on his side she may just be some sort of embodiment of the Truth Rune. Hmmm. Very odd.

Obviously her legend has been rewritten by the God Learner reforms that created Caladra and Aurelion as a unified cult: it seems likely to me that she wasn't rescuing her Twin but maybe her lover. Perhaps it was the presence of her HeroQuest that made Aurelion's cult seem a useful property to the God Learners.

And I wonder.... Perhaps Belintar is connected to her because he too has been destroyed and brought back to Glorantha. Perhaps he was one of the Gods lost during the Chaos War and brought back. Or perhaps, given that her HeroQuest Path seems to reverse the normal 'chronological' sequence of GodTime this is more evidence in support of my favourite idea: that the Pharoh is a timetraveller  from Glorantha's future. That would also be supported by the fact that
he knows with a fair accuracy when he's going to vanish and leaves scrolls behind in anticipation of that.
- --
Michael Cule

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #628