More fun with definitions

From: Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener <dwtavener_at_mail.esc4.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:30:45 -0500

At 07:33 AM 6/10/99 , David C. wrote:

>To answer some of Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener's points
>
> >If I understand you correctly, you are objecting to making the scale of
> >>inhabitants the Mundane, physical world more vast than two levels of
> >Mastery. >Correct?
>
> This distinction between the mundane, physical, world and the
>Otherworld is NOT the same distinction we are talking about here. You can
>still have completely mundane (as much as anything in Glorantha is, anyway)
>that have many levels of mastery, or people that have abilities that are
>many levels of mastery but still quite physical.

Well that puts some of the theories about what a level of Mastery means to the wall, don't it?

> >There were several Mundane entities in RQ Glorantha that were always
> >recognized >as being beyond stats. Gonn Orta leaps to mind.
>
> Beyond the point where RQ stats are useful is not necessarily the
>same thing as being beyond stats.

I realize this.

>Gonn Orta would simply have a SIZ stat
>that was VERY VERY big, far beyond where RQ mechanics made any sense. He is
>a perfect example of someone who might have the HW ability Big and Strong
>into many levels of Mastery, representing the fact that he is many orders
>of magnitude bigger and stronger than human beings. This does not imply
>anything about whether his Big and Strong ability is magical or not, or his
>ability to reach the Heroplane.

I do understand that this has nothing to do with his ability to reach the Hero Plane.

I wasn't talking about reaching the Hero Plane (I use the word Otherworld, personally. YVocabularyMV). I was wondering about what is considered as the standard scale, in HW parlance, for various entities in the Mundane, Physical, 'Walk There And Yes I See It Without Being Initiated' plane.

> >Yet we also knew that there were people, described as Rune Lords or
> >Priests or >RLP, etc. who could put up a fight with this scale of entity.
> >Right?
>
> Well, you need to be far more than simply a RLP to take on Gonn
>Orta in any physical contest.

True, but I am using the term RLP to refer to any sort of badass in RQ terms. My bad.

Greg's fiction or myth would call them a hero, or a tribal champion, or some other non-gamespeak type term.

> >Having three levels of Mastery to qualify as Rune level seems to me to
> >mean that the possible scale in HW to be more Finely Tuned then I would
> >have initially thought. That is, the scale should not be thought of in
> >terms of a 1-20 sort of thing, but rather in terms of Level of Mastery:
>
> The idea that it should be thought of in terms of level of mastery
>is correct, because it means you can have Gonn Orta and Joe Sartarite on
>the same scale, which was a design goal of HW. This doesn't mean that
>everyone above three levels of mastery is magical.

Your term 'magical' includes "Has access to Otherworld powers which boost his abilities." right? I don't know. When Greg read that one damn fiction piece I keep obsessing on, it sure _looked_ like this was the case.

But, what the hell, if the current draft sez it is the way you say, then it is the way you say.

> What the 3 levels of mastery for the Hero plane bit DOES mean is
>that a magician must have 3 effective levels of mastery in an appropriate
>magic skill, or else he will not be able to perform rituals involving
>moving everybody to the hero plane. To contact the 'god plane' or whatever
>its called that is more magically powerful than the heroplane, you need
>three more levels of mastery in magic and you still need to perform your
>ritual. It does not mean if you have three levels of mastery in Kickboxing
>you can punch your way through to the Otherworld, or are otherwise
>intrinsically magical.

Man, David, what I wrote must have really been screwed up and unclear, cuz I already understood all that.

Cheers

DWRT