D&D-style Character Levels in HW Shock!

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:47:43 EDT

Julian:

<< Oh Christ ... the ugly "Level" thread from the Other Game (tm)
 rears its ugly head in the Glorantha Digest.

 This, we didn't need.

 At least when skills were expressed in yxx% people accepted the fiction  that Glorantha was somewhat <cough!> "realistic". >>

      I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of 'level' in this context. Its simply a mechanism for describing skills over 20. When Eric refers to a 2W shaman, he means a shaman whose skill in shamanism is 2W - his other skills could be anything. Furthermore, a 4W shaman, or even a 19W shaman are still 'first level' in that particular respect, whilst conceivably having second level mastery of herblore and naff-all mastery of star lore. Personally, I can't think of a better way of doing it, but if it makes you feel better you can always add +20 to the skill number for every W following the one they give in the official description.

David Cake:

<<Actually, I think the rules should evolve so that APs, edges, flaws, and
all that play a much bigger part than they do now. This will happen as the flesh is laid on the bones with things like mass combat rules, weapons and armour rules, ritual magic rules, and so on>>

     In the case of weapons and armour rules that is 'has happened' rather than 'will happen', I trust, since the rules would be a bit cack without them. I know they weren't around in time for the convention playtests last year, but with only four months to go to release, then for the sake of out sanity we'd better assume that they are now :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky